Friday, February 25, 2011

Sgt. Scott Kirkpatrick

I've been meaning to post this since "Sinners & Saints" came out.  This is the missing portrait from the album.  I meant to put it in the liner notes, but ran out of space and time.

Anyway, the album does say that the song, "Mission Avenue," is dedicated to Sgt. Scott Kirkpatrick, who was killed in Iraq on August 11, 2007.  Many people, aside from myself, heard the obituary on NPR, and were moved by his story.  It particularly affected me, as I, too, am a big fan of Hunter S. Thompson, just like the Kirkpatrick.

I remember feeling the loss personally, like we desperately need people like Kirkpatrick to come back from the war to write about it, to tell us about it.  Like his voice was, and is, necessary.  You can read about him at www.edkirkpatrick.com/scott/

No comments:

Post a Comment